9-10 November 2017 #2017PEP
LET’S TALK ABOUT IN-WORK POVERTY!
The 16th European Meeting of People Experiencing Poverty is organised by the European Anti-Poverty Network (EAPN)
with the support of the EU Commission and the EAPN Fund, and with the participation of the Estonian Presidency of the Council of the European Union
The programme of the Meeting will soon be available on the programme page.
The blog-feed on the Homepage will soon be filled with news from different countries of how preparations for this year’s Meeting are going so don’t hesitate to subscribe to this blog to be kept informed! You can also follow us on Facebook EAPN – European Anti-Poverty Network and Twitter @EAPNEurope!
OBJECTIVES OF THE 2017 EUROPEAN MEETING
This years Meeting of People experiencing poverty will be on in-work poverty. We will tackle the fact that more and more jobs in Europe don’t pay for a living anymore. Over a hundred people experiencing poverty – both working and out of work will – come to Brussels to exchange ideas together and with EU politicians and policy makers.
It will gather direct experiences of the working poor and unemployed people in poverty; input on changes to work in the last 10 years; how work changes are affecting those out of work, and how we can reverse the trend of more working poverty. It is expected that the outcomes of this year’s Meeting will feed into the Annual Convention on Inclusive Growth that will take place early 2018.
In addition to this, the Meeting aims to develop solidarity between people and communities experiencing diverse forms of poverty within Europe.
The following high level representatives have been invited to a panel discussion with representatives of the PeP to hear directly from their experiences:
- Commissioner Marianne Thyssen, Employment, Social Affairs, Skills & Labour Mobility
- Michel Servoz, Director General of DG Employment, Social Affairs & Inclusion
- Rait Kuuse, Deputy Secretary General, Ministry of Social Affairs, Estonia
- Representative of the Belgian Federal Government
- President Tajani, President of the European Parliament
9:30 – 17:30 (9 Nov) & 9:00 – 14:30 (10 Nov), MCE, Rue de l’Aqueduc 118, 1050 Brussels
Places are limited so please contact us if keen to participate!
EAPN RESOURCES ON IN-WORK POVERTY
- Please click here to access the work done by EAPN on the theme of employment – including some specifically on in-work poverty.
- The main paper on in-work poverty Working & Poor was launched at the Annual Convention of the European Platform against Poverty and Social Exclusion where key input was made.
- The 2011PEP tackled the theme of employment – see here for more info.